When winter is upon us most enter into it saying “I’m going maintain my healthily eating habits this time...” but with the colder weather and earlier nights most people find themselves resorting back to those comfort foods and before they know it the winter period has again derailed their healthy intentions!
With spring just around the corner it’s time to get back on track! Here are some helpful hints:
1. Remove all calorie dense “extra” foods from your diet such as biscuits, chocolate, lollies, cream, hot chips and cooked deserts (i.e apple pies).
2. Increase exercise- aim for 30mins of exercise most days.
3. Find social activities to do with friends that don’t involve eating such as going for a walk rather than a coffee3 and cake.
4. Reduce alcohol intake
- Remember that: 200mL of red/white wine or 355mL of full strength beer are a 30MIN WALK!
- Replace with lower calorie drinks such as soda/tonic water, diet soft drink/cordial, unflavoured mineral water or vegetable juice.
5. Reduce portion sizes
- Use a smaller plate and eat slowly
6. Break the eating out cycle
- Most meals should be prepared and eaten at home as they’ll have more control over the portions and how the food is prepared.
7. Have a plan
- Keep a food diary for 2 weeks. It can be a real eye opener to what and how much you are eating.
- Set realistic goals especially if trying to lose weight. Healthy weight loss is only 0.5kg and 0.5cm per week.
Do you need assistance to get back on track for this Spring and Summer season. Talk to a Simply Nutrition Dietitian today and find out how we can help you. (Click Here To Contact Us)